Topband: Top Band Receivers

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Top Band Receivers
From: "John Harden, D.M.D." <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 19:23:55 -0500
Good to hear all of the various opinions about which tranceivers are the
best on top band and otherwise....

I have had the ORION I since 2004 and I have been extremely pleased with
its performance on top band. In the 1000 kHz filter slot is an INRAD
Model 762 600 Hz filter (4-pole). The ORION's PBT is different as it
controls the DSP at the 3rd IF as well as the roofing filter at the 1st
IF. No current receivers can offer this capability as it requires a
narrow roofing filter plus control of the 1st IF via the PBT. As far as
I know the FT-1000, IC-7800 or FTDX 9000 cannot do this. On the Orion
the IMD performance is superb. All of this is old news but is still valid.

I also use a GAP "Hear it Module" in the audio output along with a K7TJR
triangle, vertical receive array. I am totally pleased with the results
with a transceiver that costs 1/3 of the other "high-end" rigs.

Here is a comparison between the ORION I and the IC-7800....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8RUVSLBkmM

If I were to go with another rig it would be the K-3, but I still like
analog metering, and I like the size and layout of the Orion. The K-3 is
a great rig and is certainly more soft-ware defined than the Orion.

As far as sensitivity is concerned my KWM2-A (circa 1960) is the most
sensitive receiver in my shack. All circuits were optimized by test
selecting components using a spectrum analyzer. The work was done by
Dennis Brothers, WA0CBK, who was with Collins Radio for 25 years.
Of course the KWM-2A has zero bells and whistles, and does not cover 160.

73,

John, W4NU
K4JAG (1959 to 1998)
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK