Re: Topband: Alternatives to Coax...

To: "Brian Moran" <brianmo@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Alternatives to Coax...
From: "VE6WZ_Steve" <ve6wz@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:13:37 -0700
Brian:
I use CAT-5 to feed  my phased 2-el vertical arrays, as well as my 80m Yagi
elements which are phased into a 160m rotatable rx array at 100'.
Works fine. Easy, and handy to use esp. if you need to run voltage to the
field as well....lots of conductors.
100 ohm impedance.
Also, because it is a balanced pair is is more immune to common mode signals
on the line.
I use a flooded cable for outdoor use.
ALL RX antennas...no TX.

(here is a link to a very preliminary page showing my rx system :
http://www.qsl.net/ve6wz/ve6wz_160m_rx.htm

de Steve ve6wz.

> Could Cat-5 cable (twisted pair), with suitable baluns, be used to transit
> low-band RX antenna signals?  Looks like some people are doing this for
> VHF
> signals:

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK