Topband: Propagation

To: "a Topband COL" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Propagation
From: "Thomas F. Giella NZ4O" <nz4o@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 08:20:27 -0500
I have found that the 160 meter propagation forecast produced by
VOACAP/VOAPROP is pretty accurate out to approximately 4000 miles.

Having said that Carl K9LA is correct in that there is no accurate
propagation prediction software for 160 meters, especially on the really
long paths. All propagation prediction software operates from the principle
of propagation conditions versus the MUF/OWF. For 160 meters earth's
magnetic field plays a very large role and propagation software does not
take this into account.

However if you understand how and where the geomagnetic field affects 160
meter propagation then accurate forecasting is possible. In part I base my
MF radiowave propagation forecast section of my weekly LF/MF/HF/6M radiowave
propagation forecast at http://www.solarcycle24.org on this principle.

73 & GUD DX,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, USA
nz4o@tampabay.rr.com

NZ4O Amateur & SWL Autobiography: http://www.nz4o.org
NZ4O Daily LF/MF/HF/6M Radiowave Propagation Forecast:
http://www.solarcycle24.org

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK