Re: Topband: 160 meter current-fed T antenna, where did I go wrong?

To: Trent Fleming <trent.fleming@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 meter current-fed T antenna, where did I go wrong?
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:54:08 -0500
Two long radials on the ground is only one step above using just an
iron pipe in the ground.  That should be common wisdom, like high
dipoles do better than very low dipoles, but alas, is not.  Try two
elevated 1/8 wave radials with a series tuning inductor between the
center connection and the coax shield. This inductor can be varied to
help with SWR.  Also be sure to use a common mode block on the coax at
the feed.  You do NOT want the coax acting as a miscellaneous lossy
radial, which it will be otherwise.  Ground the shield 25-50 feet from
the feed and do NOT ground the antenna directly underneath the feed
when you are on 160.  Use the coax shield as your safety ground.

73, Guy.

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK