Re: Topband: 160m Fishing Beacons

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m Fishing Beacons
From: "GEORGE WALLNER" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 02:49:33 -0400

G'day Topbanders,

Potential good news!

I have just found a lost Fishing Beacon (out on the very
northern part of the Great Barrier Reef, in norther VK4).

This unit appears to be a new type: it contains a GPS and
seem to have the ability to transmit its position. From
the TX inductorsPotential good news! and the XTAL it
appears to operate somewhere around 45 MHz. If this
represents the next evolution in Drift-Net Beacons, it
could result the in the beacons evantually migrating from
160m to a non-amateur band.

I will post some picutres of this on the TX3A website once
I get back.

George, AA7JV
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK