Re: Topband: Inverted L Dimensions

To: <kb0fhp@verizon.net>, Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Inverted L Dimensions
From: Charles Moizeau <w2sh@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 13:35:08 -0400
Scott,

My soil in northern NJ is pretty much like yours in eastern PA.  My trees are a
bit taller and I was able to get up an inverted L with a vertical run of 85'.
I also wanted to work stateside, so I arranged the antenna's configuration so
that its "elbow" would lie to the southwest of the horizontal leg in order to
pick up a dB or so of gain from the antenna's higher-angle, horizontally
polarized radiation.

I still wanted to maximize the vertically polarized radiation and that meant
positioning the maximum current, which occurs a quarter wavelength back from
the open end of any linear antenna, at a point half way up the vertical leg.  I
assumed a quarter wavelength to be 128 feet, so that meant a horizontal leg
that is 85 feet long.

In your case, with a vertical leg of 60 feet, the horizontal leg would be 98
feet long.  The arithmetic is simple for other cases.

I have 22 buried radials, 65 to 120 feet long, filling an open lawn area, and
they have about 4 degrees of angular spacing.  They certainly help.  I thought
I could improve things by adding 16 radials, each 150-165 feet long, also
inter-spaced 4 degrees, running through the wooded part of my property, but I
have my doubts that the much greater work to install those radials has been
worth it.  It still remains for me to disconnect all the radials an then do a
comparative test of just the lawn radials vs. just the woods radials.

For the radials, I use DX Engineering's fine radial attachment plate and #12 or
14-gauge solid copper house wire, for which it may be cheaper to buy a
1,000-foot roll of 14-2 gauge and strip off the outer jacket, vs. six 500-foot
rolls of #14.

73,

Charles, W2SH

> From: kb0fhp@verizon.net
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 19:21:31 -0400
> Subject: Topband: Inverted L Dimensions
>
> I have decided to take the plunge and put up a simple antenna for 160M.
> Several comments:
>
> It has to be simple and not excessively expensive;
> I have limited room for antennas on my lot, and very limited room for
> radials.
> I do have multiple tall trees that I can use to hoist a wire 60 feet + in
> the air.
> My soil, if you want to call it that, is poor and rocky (typical Eastern
> PA).
> My application is casual DXing and working stateside.
>
> Based on this, it looks like an inverted L is probably my best choice. I
> want to feed it with 50 ohm coax. Now the questions are pretty simple:
>
> What dimensions are best - 5/16 or 1/4 wave? Both are indicated in the
> literature.
> What is simpler to match?
> Am I better off making a loaded vertical approximately 60 feet long?
>
> I appreciate your help.
>
> Scott aka KB0FHP

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK