Re: Topband: Beverages

To: "'Top Band Reflector'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverages
From: "Joel Harrison" <w5zn@w5zn.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:31:17 -0500
It is really great to see all of the recent posts about Beverages and low
band antennas....getting me pumped for the upcoming season here in the heat
and Thunderstorms of Summer.

At Dayton this year I had some really great feedback on the 8 vertical array
RX antenna. A few of you expressed your intent to construct one and I am
very interested in and looking forward to hearing of your experiences with
it.

W3LPL and I discussed it while woofing down some K3LR pizza (with a W5ZN
Beer) in the Contest Suite. Frank had some very interesting questions and
comments. He is in the position of having to remove most low band RX
antennas for the summer and indicated he was interested in constructing a
"portable" array, one in which the base support was contained in a small
bucket of concrete that could be picked up and moved. Frankly (no pun
intended), I thought this was quite an idea and one I just had not thought
of. He then had a question of what would happen if you placed an 80 meter
array inside a 160 meter array (to conserve space, of course). I don't have
an answer to that yet, as Bob and I will hook up and run a model to see.
Then, the wheels started turning in my head that if the model looks OK, I
think I will construct a "portable" version as Frank suggests and then place
it inside my 160 meter array. The distance from there to my existing 80
meter array is sufficient to not have any interaction and could also be used
to compare the two....the one stand alone and the one inside the 160 meter
array. If it doesn't work out, all I have to do is move the portable array.

We have not yet published results from the 80 meter version of the array as
it was late in the season when it was completed and put in service and I
want another season of results, but initial results are its performance is
in accordance with model and equivalent to what we identified on 160 meters.
Tuning the array was more critical for the 80 meter version given its self
resonance on 75 meters. Frank noted to possibility of make the elements a
bit shorter for the 80 meter version so they are resonant a bit higher in
frequency. Again, something to consider and work on that I just said
"Duh...didn't think of that!"

The feedback is great and I appreciate it. I know that both Frank and Jon,
AA1K, are working toward an array and I am very interested to learn of
results from the east coast, as well as any other parts of the country.

GL to all with your summer low band antenna projects. I'm looking forward to
the next season.

73 Joel W5ZN

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK