Re: Topband: Forestry Effect on Antennas and Radials

To: PTA_ABD <wb2abd@roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Forestry Effect on Antennas and Radials
From: W2PM <w2pm@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 07:39:13 -0400
I have found a beverage in the woods especially in a suburban area are very
problematic physically as someone always seems to wander across it and take it
down.  I've since used bogs very successfully both physically and in
performance altho I am certainly not prepared to compete in receiving quality
with W8JI class systems.  In fact I. A suburban setting even if I could
replicate the physical arrays the noise floor is quite self limiting anyway but
even short bogs have allowed me to hear what would otherwise be totally
impossible with other antennas here.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 7, 2010, at 6:02 PM, "PTA_ABD" <wb2abd@roadrunner.com> wrote:

> <The problem you will have on 160 meters is that a 500' beverage is not even
> one wavelength long ! They will work fine in the woods if they are long
> enough.  Willy K3VW>
>
> It will still work, even if less than 580', or whatever other published
> desired length ... my 500' NE beverage varies from 6' to 12' above ground (
> to cross the driveway), uses whatever convenient tree or bush is available in
> the path for the entire run. It does work, and slightly better than a K9AY
> loop oriented in the same direction.
>
> No, it doesn't turn weak signals into 599+ bruisers ... the idea is to reduce
> the noise and signals from the non-favored directions ... weak signals are
> eminently copiable without the noise, and that's the main idea.
>
> Put it up ... wind your own isolated winding transformer ... enjoy.
>
> Paul WB2ABD

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK