Re: Topband: Spacers for Ladder Line/Corrections

To: Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Spacers for Ladder Line/Corrections
From: Charles Moizeau <w2sh@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 22:46:32 -0400
To correct my earlier posting:

I stopped in at a Home Depot today to view the electrical service
entrance staples I described earlier.

First off, the manufacturer is Gardner Bender, NOT Gardner Denver.

I was unable to find the 50-count bags that I remembered.  What I found
were 5-count packs of the 1.25" spacing for $1.89, i.e., $0.38 each, and
 5-count packs of 0.875" spacing for $1.49, i.e., $0.30 each.
Obviously, these over-packaged small quantities are too pricey.  I
wonder what the manufacturer would say to an order of a thousand or
more, shipped in bulk with no attachment nails.

Much cheaper are white nylon staples.  A 175-count box of 0.75" spacing
goes for $5.79, or $0.03 each, and a 225-count box of 0.50" spacing
costs $4.69, or $0.02 each.

Now those unit prices I find appealing, but I've never had much luck
with white nylon lasting very long in an outdoor environment.
Clothesline pulleys made of similar plastic only lasted about a year.

Just for giggles I bought a 15-count pack of the white staples with
0.50" spacing for the outrageous price of $1.29, or $0.09 each.  I'll
leave these out in the sun for a few months and see how they fare.

72,

Charles, W2SH

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK