Re: Topband: protect my transmitter from atmospheric discharges

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: protect my transmitter from atmospheric discharges
From: "Dan & Jean" <dmlbjl@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 13:22:56 -0400
 I agree with Rob's suggestion that you look at the ICE products.  I also
use them where the feedline enters my house at the entry panel (with single
point ground).  When properly installed, they provide both a static drain
and some lightning protection.

I also use a resistive drain at the antenna.  If for example you have the
feedline to the house disconnected, and are going to connect an antenna
analyzer to the antenna, the resistive drain can prevent damage to the
antenna analyzer.  AD5X has a good article about resistive static drains:

http://www.ad5x.com/images/Articles/Static%20Bleed.pdf

Dan - W4TQ

> My guess is that your transmitter should be the least of your concerns.
> I'd be much more worried about your receiver.  A good voltage drain will
> not only protect your equipment, but also reduce the noise level in your
> receiver that arises from the induced voltage.
>
> You may want to take a look at the following:
>
> http://www.iceradioproducts.com/33.htm
>
> Whether you obtain such a product from the manufacturer or roll your
> own, the ICE design is a good one.  I've used these their arrestors
> for a while now, and have not observed any SWR problems arising from
> their use.
>
> Rob

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK