Topband: [Fwd: Re: Question for the EXPERTS and Heavy Transceiver users

To: Topband <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: [Fwd: Re: Question for the EXPERTS and Heavy Transceiver users and testers]
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:33:41 -0400
Dennis,

I replaced my aging Icom 765 with a 746 pro.....It was a great decision as this rig has a wonderful receiver and other super features, I did after a year loose the backlight but I was able to replace the regulator transistor myself with online instructions. I understand this problem of over taxing that regulator can be mitigated by running the backlight at 100% or with full ilumination..

The DSP and filter system is continuously adjustable making this a superb RX for 160 meters. I would like to see a side by side test on RX with the K3. Earl K6SE did that with a K2 and found the Icom 746 Pro to have a superior unit. Understand that Icom just stopped making them so hurry while you can get a good close out deal with free power supply.

Herb,  KV4FZ

Dennis Peterson wrote:
GM guys; I would like to pose the following question to those who have or had several of the well known transceivers on TOPBAND.

I have currently in my possession and use an ICOM IC-735 which has been totally gone thru by MTS in Western Washington. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate it at about an 8 as it has a few scratches here and there. Unfortunately, this transceiver doesn't have adequate filtering for CW operation on topband so I am LOOKING for something USED that will provide me with filtering for CW operation.

I would like to hear from operators who have or had some of the more popular rigs for operation on 160 meters. Filtering is a MUST, the rest of the bells and whistles isn't that important to me either. I am looking or leaning towards the following transceivers:
ICOM 746
ICOM 746 Pro
ICOM 761
ICOM 756