Topband: Beverage transformer questions

To: w5zn@w5zn.org
Subject: Topband: Beverage transformer questions
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:12:21 -0800 (PST)
--- On Thu, 3/4/10, Joel Harrison <w5zn@w5zn.org> wrote:

> From: Joel Harrison <w5zn@w5zn.org>
> Subject: RE: Topband: Newbie report
> To: "'Mike Waters W0BTU'" <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
> Date: Thursday, March 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
> Hi Mike,
>
> The photos look very nice. What cores are you using for
> your transformers?
>
> 73 Joel W5ZN

Hello Joel,

I get asked that and related questions quite a bit, so I'm cc'ing this to the
Topband list. Glad to help, and thanks for asking.

Below is a copy of a reply to someone else. Let me know if you need more info.

The transformers in the photos are made from FB-73-801 ferrite beads. Two pairs
of four stacked. It's what I had on hand.

If you're going to buy ferrite, get those binocular cores from Amidon (73
material) instead, as it will save you a lot of work gluing and heat-shrinking
the beads together. I forget the part #, I can look it up if you want (starts
with BN). I bought some in my last order from Amidon, but haven't tried them
yet.

> Also, what is the value of the rf choke on the
> bias tee in the remote unit?

I don't know what the value is. It's a single FB73-801 ferrite bead with some
#24 (I think) enameled wire wound through it a few times. The wire size and #
of turns is not critical. I think the DC blocking capacitor is a .01 uf 100
volt disc ceramic. [There's a similar choke at the station control]

I always took care not to skin the enamel off the wire when pulling it through
the beads (they're conductive). I have a tiny file I take the sharp edge off
the hole with.

The components across the [12 VDC] relay coil: a 30 volt MOV and a .01 or .1 uf
disc ceramic.

> What is the length of the radials on the far
> ends?
> Both of my beverages work OK in the forward
> direction but don't seem to have much front to back.
> Neither has the gain or S/N of the forward direction.

That's the problem I had when I first installed these Beverages. The problem
was an insufficient ground.

> I have
> been thinking about adding radials to the far ends but I
> don't know what lengths to make them.
> Any suggestions?
> Thanks,

The radials are 50 or 60 feet long. The Beverage with the 7 radials: one or two
of those radials are maybe 40 feet. You need a better ground at the far end,
along with a ground rod (two are better) to provide a decent return to ground
for the reflection transformer. Otherwise, you won't hear as well off the back
end (at least in my soil here). I only use three radials at the feed end (with
two rods).

Let me know how else we can help.

73 Mike

73,