Topband: Magic Antenna Land

To: Topband@Contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Magic Antenna Land
From: "Hugh Valentine" <hsvdds@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 23:42:37 GMT
Oval Clodfester is a Ham O Holic. His call is N1ERD. He lives in Antenna
Magicland on Eznec Avenue and can instantly create and remove any antenna his
little Code Oscillatin Heart can stand.

Here is what Oval is wunderin today....He is looking for advice or education
from any Antenna Elmer in the land.......

Question:  When using a 160M inverted "L" antenna, he constructs a radial
system of 20 radials, half 33' and half 133' in length and drives an 8' ground
rod into the salt marsh he lives on and connects the radials and the Salt water
ground Rod together.

Oval gets pretty good results but is wondering what effect his ground rod in
Salt water is having on his antenna performance.  Oval disconnects the Ground
rod and runs on Radials only.  He is wunderin....did I improve or degrade my
signal???....and he wonders if he could measure current flow in the 1/4" ground
bus to the ground rod...would it show any current flow and how would that
compare to the current flow in the radials....????  Will his SWR change?

Do we have any antenna theorists who could help Oval in his query?

Should Oval..
1) Connect his Ground rod in salt water to his radials
2) Use radials only and forget his Ground rod
3) Start building a new linear using a 3cx3000A7 or greater
4) Prepare for his 5th Divorce due to excessive hamming and obsessions
5) Perform a do-it-Yourself Vasectomy to prevent a possible Oval, Jr
6) Forget it all together
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Anyone know enough Antenna theory to enlighten one as to the effect of adding
or subtracting a ground rod in a high salinity environment?

Just adding a bit of humor but I have this situation and am asking myself this
question...just to settle my diseased and hopelessly infected brain.

73
Val
N4RJ

Nutrition