Re: Topband: What are these weak birdies every 10.0000 KHz?

To: "Mike Waters W0BTU" <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: What are these weak birdies every 10.0000 KHz?
From: "pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer2@q.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:38:18 -0700
I will add one more  weird one - I would  get several of those signals on
160 randomly and I searched all my wires and fences etc with a portable rx
( was surprised at a couple guy wires but that was not what I was hearing ).

One day I accidentally hit the brake switch on my Ham-M and the birdies went
away . From then on I could just switch it a few times and that would fix it
for a day or so.  Apparently rectification in the rotator bearings - or in
the brake. When I rebuilt all my antennas a year ago I added a flexible
cable tying the antenna mast to the tower top  and that eliminated the
issue.

(The guys doing the climbing thought I was nuts )

The whole story is I use a homemade oak top bearing so the mast and its
antennas floated and the "ground" was through the rotator.So I sometimes
wonder even with metal bearings if this could not happen when the bearing
oil/grease film got just right.

73 Hank K7HP

> > Often, the mixing is being done near where the AM
> station is transmitting and is
> > very hard to track down.
> >
> > 73 Tree N6TR
> > tree@kkn.net