Re: Topband: Radial requirements for 1/2 wave vertical?

To: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Radial requirements for 1/2 wave vertical?
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 11:01:16 -0700
Quarterwave & Halfwave verticals:

Theory and simulation say that a halfwave vertical will work almost as well
with a ground rod as with a good radial system.

My tests at 20 meters between a halfwave vertical and a reference antenna
followed by a quarterwave vertical and the reference antenna agree.

Having flown a few 160 meter balloon verticals and modeled them I contend
that a halfwave balloon vertical looks good in theory but may not be good in
practice. What gets the balloon vertical is that a small wind will push it
down to 30, sometimes 20 degrees. Model a quarterwave and a halfwave
vertical at this angle and you will see that the quarterwave is better.

However, a kytoon will fly high in a wind and would make a halfwave vertical
the clear winner over anything other than salt water. Fortunately for me I
do get to fly my balloon verticals over very salty water out beyond 100
wavelengths.

    Dave WX7G
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK