Re: Topband: RX antenna - Anecdotal Observation

To: Tod -ID <tod@k0to.us>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: RX antenna - Anecdotal Observation
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:08:33 -0800 (PST)
> From: Tod -ID <tod@k0to.us>
> Subject: Topband: RX antenna - Anecdotal Observation
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Date: Monday, February 15, 2010, 9:38 AM
> I have a K9AY pair of loops at right angles and also a pair
> of DxEngineering 102" active verticals.
> Last year I used the same setup and felt that the K9AY
> performed better ---
> This year the phased verticals seem to be my RX antenna of
> choice. There is
> either something that has been altered in the two antenna
> systems by the
> snow-rain-ice-snow combinations during the December-January
> period or I have
> found a better way to adjust the phasing controls of the
> NCC-1. In any
> event, the phased verticals now provide the best signal to
> noise on the
[snip]

Perhaps the ground rod conductivity has changed. Here's an experience I had
that might give you something to try.

When I put up my first 2-wire bi-directional Beverage (with different
transformers than I use now), I occasionally had to 'help' the ground
conductivity at the reflection transformer end. Although there were two copper
ground rods and three radials, the only thing that made it work right from the
feed end was to pour a hot, very concentrated solution of magnesium sulfate
(Epsom salts) around the ground rods.

That's no longer necessary, as I've made some changes. But it would be cheap
and easy for you to try. Epsom salts are available at about any drug store or
grocery store.

I could have added more radials, yes. You might try that, too.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK