Re: Topband: Need to know more about beverages...

To: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>, Gary Smith <Gary@ka1j.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Need to know more about beverages...
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 14:27:44 -0800 (PST)
I think Jerry hit it right on the money.

None of my Beverages are close to, or pointing at/away from, the house. I feed
them with flooded (buryable) RG-6 Commscope CATV coax in lengths up to 600
feet. (I recently purchased a couple of 1000' rolls of that stuff very
inexpensively off eBay.) My Beverages are very, very quiet and hear very well
indeed.

If your house is like mine, it is a prolific generator of RFI: switching
wall-warts, computers and networking equipment, CFL lamps, etc. etc. A Beverage
like the one you describe I is going to pick up a lot of this man-made noise.

The 4th edition of John Devoldere's book "Low Band DXing" has some great info
on Beverages. I strongly recommend it!

It would be interesting to hear what happens if you terminate the Beverage.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU

http://picasaweb.google.com/katie65752/BeverageAntenna#

> From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
> Subject: Re: Topband: Need to know more about beverages...
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Date: Sunday, January 31, 2010, 2:37 PM
> KA1J wrote:
> > Beverage 1 runs from the house to the east and is 500'
> long. The wire
> > comes in through the window sill and is held up by
> branches & it
> > dips,. It has no termination resistor. The matching
> transformer is
> > next to the window. The ground is connected to the
> station ground
> > rod....
> >
> > .....I surely must be doing something wrong.
> >

> I wouldn't expect much performance from a Beverage built
> like that.  A
> bi-directional Beverage will have a lot more noise than an
> single
> direction one, and connecting the ground to the station
> ground will
> allow all the station ground noise to appear in the
> signal.  It could
> also destroy the pattern because of the signal picked up on
> the house
> wiring, which also gets into the output.
>
> Build it like everyone else does, separate ground rods at
> both ends not
> connected to anything else, add termination resistor, use
> transformer
> with good primary to secondary isolation or lots of chokes
> on the feedline.
>
> Jerry, K4SAV

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK