Re: Topband: SDR radio for 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: SDR radio for 160
From: Chuck Hutton <charlesh3@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 18:00:30 +0000

> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 12:42:06 -0500
> From: n4zr@contesting.com
> To: n6pe@yahoo.com
> CC: topband@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: Topband: SDR radio for 160
>
> Readers should be aware of some complications -- the amqrp.org link is
> well out of date - like about 4 years. For a time,
> www.softrockradio.org was the place to go for information on the
> softrock series of kits, but that site is now a mishmash of parts
> offered for sale, with no particular link to the kitter, KB9YIG. There
> is a site, www.kb9yig.org, that purports to have prices and availability
> information, but it appears to have been static for 6 months or so, with
> almost no kits listed as available. The softrock40 group on
> groups.yahoo.com still appears to be active, and has a lot of
> information in its files section, but nothing on availability of kits
> since last May, and nothing by or about kb9yig since then either.
>
> I always found Tony, KB9YIG, to be the soul of conscientious service and
> reliability - it would be a shame if this effort is going offline. I
> hope Tony is OK, but have no clue.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Visit the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
> The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net

Pete:

All is true except for the kit availability part - Tony usually posts weekly
updates about availability and shipping in the Yahoo Softrock group.

And to double emphasize Tony's work: he has been tireless and accurate in
shipping thousands and thousands of Softrocks over the years. I'm tempted to
say the number has hit 10,000 but if not, it's still a remarkable effort.

Chuck

WD4ELO

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK