Re: Topband: AM BCB noise in Portland, OR

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: AM BCB noise in Portland, OR
From: Rod <radiodad2000@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:44:30 -0800 (PST)
Hi Eddy,

It is "un"common knowledge among Amateurs that AC and pulse DC lighting
devices that feature touch sensors, dimmers, photocell activators and motion
detection devices are often poorly engineered. They are prone to spew RF hash
across of LW, MW and SW frequencies, and some are adversely affected by strong
RF fields, especially varying RF fields, like ours on Topband and up.

The lights in question are very likely not Part 15 compliant. There have been
documented cases of interference to Amateur Radio, where and
individual, assisted by ARRL and FCC authorities, forced a lighting
manufacturer to comply with Part 15 on a neighbor's under-cabinet lighting
device. However, a lighting solution that is Part 15 compliant would probably
not solve the RF sensitivity problem of a touch circuit. I was getting a huge
noise from and modulating the dimmer circuit my wife's table top touch lamp 20
years ago. I got rid of it and got her a better, standard three-way switch
lamp.

In the electrical lighting market, as in many other electrical and electronics
device markets, there is a large number of poorly engineered, RF spectrum
polluting electronic devices that emit a hideous amount of interference to RF
communications. Under-the-cabinet lighting is only one example.

For your situation, you may be able to craft an electronic circuit modification
to solve part of the problem, if you are so inclined. However, do not expect a
solution from the manufacturer. It is my recollection that the cases where the
FCC forced the manufacturer to redesign their product took years, with many man
hours and dollars spent to achieve a single, but important solution.

The simplest solution for you is to obtain a completely different lighting
device that you test to not cause RF interference which is not affected by RF.

Good luck!

73,
Rod
WN8R