Re: Topband: bidirectional beverage VS not terminating beverage

To: topband@contesting.com, cx6vm.jorge@adinet.com.uy
Subject: Re: Topband: bidirectional beverage VS not terminating beverage
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:37:07 -0800 (PST)
Hello Jorge,

> From: Jorge Diez - CX6VM <cx6vm.jorge@adinet.com.uy>
> Subject: Topband: bidirectional beverage VS not terminating beverage
> To: topband@contesting.com
> Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 3:01 PM
> Hello,
>
> will the performance of a beverage go down if I quit the
> resistor and ground
> at the end? I know that it will became bidirectional, but
> this is not a
> problem for me, much better if I can heard in both
> directions.
> For example I have a beverage for Europe, works fine. I
> will quit the
> grounded far end, so will be bidirectional, right?. BUT.
> the performance
> towards Europe will decrease or will remain the same?

Not terminating the far end will cause the Beverage to pick up noise from the
near end. In some cases, that noise can mask the desired signal from the far
end.

> So maybe instead to build a bidirectional beverage with
> ladder line and more
> expensive hardware, I just can do that.

I have two bi-directional Beverages. I just love the way they work. And they
were not expensive at all. My wife just uploaded all my Beverage photos (there
are over 100 of them for now) at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/katie65752/BeverageAntenna#

Most of them are of a very heavy branch (that fell out of the top of a large
tree during freak winds last May) that landed near one end of the NE-SW
Beverage. That gives you some idea of just how strong that galvanized electric
fence wire is! Ladder line would have broke, I'm sure. I could not push on the
branch and lift it one inch, it was so heavy.

The photos are presently unsorted and uncommented. Eventually, I'll probably
enhance them and place them and other Beverage info on a new web site. I hope
they give you some ideas for a Beverage of your own.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK