Re: Topband: M flare

Subject: Re: Topband: M flare
From: Merv Schweigert <k9fd@flex.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:29:18 -1000
Not at 1330,  but was monitoring 20 meters later, perhaps it was around
2000 UTC and there was the familar "rushing" sound that peaked up over
S9 here for several minutes,  the signals from EU that I was listening to
disappeared,  what I use to hear in the last sunspot cycles when a flare
or event happened.
Did not see any improvement to LF bands here at least, 160 was close
to dead this morning at sunrise,  fish beacons were 599 that usually signals
poor condtions.  No signals other then FK8 were heard here.
73 Merv KH7C
> Some interesting reading at www.spaceweather.com:
>

>> An M2-class solar flare on Jan. 19th bathed Earth's upper atmosphere in
>> X-rays and caused a wave of ionization to sweep over Europe. This improved
>> the propagation of low-frequency radio signals, which use the ionosphere
>> as a reflector to skip over the horizon
>>

> It looks like this peaked around 1330 UTC.  Wonder if anyone noticed strange
> things happening on the band around then?
>
> 73 Tree

UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK