Re: Topband: T antenna Resonance Dimensions and Z

To: Dave Sharred <g3nkc@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Topband: T antenna Resonance Dimensions and Z
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:44:35 -0400

Dave Sharred wrote:
> I have some vacuum variables that I may take over; should we need to match
> them a little. A makeshift coil should not be such a problem. WE may need to
> raise that feed impedance a little; if they come out at 20 Ohms; may be
> higher depending on ground resistance.
>

> Dave
> To avoid the need for housing, coils and caps at the feed point if you
> feed is not reactive is to simply change the impedance.  If you don't
> want to wind a ferrite device to do this why not consider running two
> paralell runs (this would make 25 ohm coax) of RG-8 that are 1/2 wave
> of electrical length (free space minus the VF amount which is arround
> 66% with solid core coax.)  This will repeated the feed point
> impedance at the shack and your  tuner...most rigs have them
> today...or the output network of your amp should handle this with a
> loss would between none and nothing.

I still think, however, making the top a bit longer and thus slightly
inductive and using just a fixed series cap you have a simpler solution
with a feed point value closer to 50 ohms and the ability to fine tune
at the point of interest on the band with a large current mica that may
not require a housing but only a plastic cover.

Herb, KV4FZ
UR RST IS ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK