Topband: Realistic expectations?

To: "'topband reflector'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Realistic expectations?
From: "Mark Lunday" <mlunday@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 21:38:32 -0500
OK, I finally put up an inverted L.70 foot vertical, 56 foot horizontal.
Put down three radials, each 130 foot in length.  100 watts from the rig.

Remote coupler at the base of the antenna so I don't lose much in the coax.

Put it on 160 at about 9 PM local.the European signals were very weak.  The
stronger ones were being called by many stations, so I could not get
through.

I expected better performance.  Maybe I need a bunch of radials.but I
expected to at least have something going for me on 160.  The horizontal leg
IS pointed about 045, which means the null is towards southern Europe, I
believe.

Additional thoughts: 50 kv power lines with 100 foot towers are 1000 feet
away, directly to north.

Thoughts?  My first real excursion into 160.is it just the radials that is
the issue?

Mark Lunday

WD4ELG

Greensboro, NC - FM06be

wd4elg@arrl.net

http://wd4elg.net

http://wd4elg.blogspot.com <http://wd4elg.net>

"160-meters is a band for men, not for sissies!" - SM5EDX