Re: Topband: Bev Transmission Loss

To: Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@inet.net.nz>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bev Transmission Loss
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 08:03:39 -0800
The problem with this concept is that first you have
to know your ground parameters.  What the NEC4 writers
suggest you do to find ground parameters is to first
run a wire(s) over ground and make physical measurements
of it to characterize the ground.  Then you fit the
model to what you measured.  Sometimes, it is impossible
to make the model fit.

I think you can now see that there is circular reasoning
going on here, and you might as well just build the antenna
and measure it and be done with it.  You could possibly
build a short beverage and measure that, and predict what
would happen with 2 W/L.  I know over my high conductivity
ground, there is virtually no signal left after 2 W/L.
I could predict this by measuring just 200 feet of wire.

Rick N6RK