Re: Topband: ANC-4 and MFJ-1026 Comparison

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: ANC-4 and MFJ-1026 Comparison
From: Markus Hansen <mkve7ca@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 17:15:50 -0800
Tadek, SP7HT has asked me to share with the TOPBAND group his experience
with the ANC-4 and MFJ-1026.  I quote below his email message:

"For years I am competing with local noises using ANC-4 (firstly) and
MFJ-1026 (last 10 months) for noise cancelling. I've modified the Front End
of my old ANC-4 adding a tuned resonant circuit at the Input of Noise
Channel (low impedance Input to resonant circuit, next High impedance
paralell resonance circuit using ferrite core and RX tuning capacitor I can
cover in 4 sub-bands from 1.74MHz to 30.1MHz and at the output low impedance
to connect directly to ANC-4 noise antenna Input socket).

At the Output of that modification (outside ANC-4 case) I can adjust the
level of noise signal (470 Ohm potentiometer) connected to ANC-4. So, I can
adjust NOISE GAIN in the middle position, when best cancelling can be
reached (in ANC-4).

Thanks to selective resonance circuit at the Input of Noise antenna I can
avoid intermodulation products when propagation is in a great shape (birdies
appeard every 5kHz or every 10kHz).

According to local noises in my location (a 5 floor block of flats, 19
neighbours in that house and about 300 neighbours in 100 metres circle
around my location) I can say (today) that modified ANC-4 is a better tool
to fight with local noises noises on 80CW than newest version of MFJ-1026.
73  Tadek  SP7HT"

--
Markus Hansen
VE7CA,   North Vancouver, BC  CANADA