Topband: [Fwd: Re: Edger for burying ground radials ?]

To: Top Band <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: [Fwd: Re: Edger for burying ground radials ?]
From: "Mike(W5UC) & Kathy(K5MWH)" <w5uc@suddenlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 08:55:35 -0600
I sent this to Ed, but hopefully this technique will be usefull to
others putting down radials.

Ed Stallman wrote:
> I would like to know if anyone has used an edger to cut small groves
> in the ground for burying radials ? If this will work , I'm going to
> need something heavy duty. something like what's in the link below
> ...because I have allot of radials to bury at least an inch beneath
> the soil, 2 would be better. I have this bahiagrass in my pasture and
> this stuff is tough . From reading the add's on these edgers, most
> say they will cut up to 2.5 inches in depth. I've never  had the need
> for an edger, so I'm asking will this make  a fairly clean cut to lay my wire?
>
> I know their are better way's but I don't have a tractor and I can't
> staple them to the ground .
>
> what do y'all think, will this work ?
>
> Ed N5DG

Good Morning Ed & All:

Ed, take a look at the pictures at
http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/160.html.

I put those radials down in the early fall about 4 years ago and pulled
them a bit tight at the ends by connecting them to a small piece of
dowel rod(about 6" long).  I did staple them a few times along the way
using staples that I bought at Lowe's. Of course, they were there and
visible for that winter, but by the time the grass had grown and been
cut the 2nd or 3rd time in the spring  they were completely invisible.
For the first few cuttings the grass was cut pretty high, and after that
I cut it as needed.

I'm not familiar with the grass you mention.  Does that type grass make
it impossible to do this?

73,
Mike
"management is the cesspool of life.
it's the place where the big chunks float to the top"
http://www.suddenlink.net/pages/w5uc/