Re: Topband: Re insulated vs:bare radial wires/Chicke Wire

To: "Thomas F. Giella NZ4O" <nz4o@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Re insulated vs:bare radial wires/Chicke Wire
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:08:00 -0500
Yes, when I had inquired on the Towertalk reflector several months ago
regarding the use of chicken wire, someone responded privately and said
that BC stations had abandoned wire mesh screens many years ago because
of undesirable eddy currents. The eddy currents were thought to oppose
the return currents and actually made the system less efficient.  The
writer referenced two engineering books from th 50s, and I suspect the
book you mention was one of them.

73, Joe
K2XX