Re: Topband: K3 vs IC7600

To: Jorge Diez - CX6VM <cx6vm.jorge@adinet.com.uy>
Subject: Re: Topband: K3 vs IC7600
From: Brendan Minish <ei6iz.brendan@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 15:10:55 +0000
On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 09:29 -0200, Jorge Diez - CX6VM wrote:
> Hello,
> Just to know is someone did a comparison between the Elecraft K3 and IC7600.
> For what I can found in internet, seems the IC7600 not have two separate
> receivers.

I had a 7800 (version with the 3KHz roofing filter) here for around 2
years. For nearly a year it was side by side with the K3.

Under CW contest conditions the K3 outperformed the 7800 and that's
before diversity is counted. the 7800 can't really do diversity since
the main and sub receivers always have a small frequency offset (due to
Decimation errors in the DDS synthesizers I suspect )

Once the K3 arrived I found I was rarely using the the 7800 and I sold
it. About the only thing I miss is all the money I lost in depreciation
by owning the 7800 for a couple of years

> The K3 diversity RX seems to be a very good option.

It's absolutely amazing, I use it all the time on all bands below 20m. I
usually use the TX antenna on main RX and beverages on the Sub. on 20m
and above my receive antennas lack gain when compared to my TX antenna
and this limits the usefulness of diversity

I have some audio clips on my (long neglected) blog. Listen to them with
headphones on
http://ei6iz.com/

> Anyway, maybe for the same price, any real comparison between this two
> radios to know what will be the better option?
Sherwood engineering has test results sorted by narrow spaced Dynamic
range here
http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

the 7600 is around 30dB worse than the K3 in this parameter

--
73
Brendan EI6IZ