Re: Topband: Power Line Noise (long)

To: "'Brad Anbro'" <n9en@charter.net>, "'TOPBAND'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Power Line Noise (long)
From: "Cliff Frescura" <cf@cfcorp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:50:09 -0800
From: topband-bounces@contesting.com [mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com]
On Behalf Of Brad Anbro
Sent: Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:28 AM
To: TOPBAND
Subject: Topband: Power Line Noise (long)

Hello T-B'ers,

I have power line noise at my QTH that is causing me a
lot of grief on 160 meters. At 1.815 Mhz, the noise is a
continuous S9, when the rig is in the AM mode. The
noise is not as noticeable on 80 meters.

<snip>
If anyone has any ideas on how I can pin-point the
exact source of the noise, I would sure appreciate
the information. Thank you in advance.

73, Brad, N9EN

You don't mention if the noise is continuous or if it happens only at
certain times of the day.

Have you looked at

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/HTML/pwr-line-noise/ch5.html

A tip I picked up on the list was to use my tribander and listen on 10m to
get a more accurate bearing of the noise.  Once you get close to a pole a
UHF HT on AM can be helpful as well as your AM car radio tuned to a clear
spot on the high end of the band.

73,

Cliff K3LL