Re: Topband: Noise

To: "Tod - ID" <tod@k0to.us>
Subject: Re: Topband: Noise
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:31:44 -0800
I wouldn't build this circuit as presented.

The basic concept seems to have merit (although it
is an obvious idea IMHO) and this paper serves as
a proof of concept to some extent.

A much better RF gate could be built with one of those
bus switches that are used in Tayloe mixers.

The line stuff uses antique CMOS parts and needs to
be updated.

Another thing you could do is to simply co-opt the
existing noise blanker in your radio by driving its
gate with 120 Hz pulses.  I had considered doing this
to my much modified FT-1000.

You would think that Elecraft would add this to the K3.
Probably wouldn't take much for them to do it.

Rick N6RK