Topband: Sometimes the Topband Deities are Generous

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Sometimes the Topband Deities are Generous
From: Brian Moran <brianmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 08:26:03 -0800 (PST)
The band sounded great this morning just before 6am, lots of signals, lots of
activity. Wind was howling outside. Unfortunately when I checked my TX, SWR is
about 3:1. I use trees for supports, and it had been gusting all night long.
One of the sides of the catenary had loosened, or a branch had broken -- too
much slack, antenna is too short.

So, no 160m activity for me this AM.

Just now, at 8:20 local, swept the antenna with the MFJ to see if anything else
was wrong (no, just too short, yes, 3:1 or so at 1820), heard someone calling
CQ, a couple of hours past daylight. RW0CR! A few calls later, barefoot with 97
watts and 3:1 SWR (don't dare try that with the amp), he was in the log.

Brian N9ADG