Topband: Ground radials

To: 160 reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Ground radials
From: N7DF <n7df@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 07:02:17 -0800 (PST)
We ran some extensive tests comparing current flow in ground radials
we found that the current flow in an elevated radial with a surface radial
directly below it was significantly greater than in the elevated radial alone
The current flow in the elevated radial alone was also greater than the current
flow in the surface radial alone
the current flow in the surface radial was the same with the elevated radial
over it as without the elevated radial
We didn't try with buried radials but I feel sure that the results would be the
same
based on our measurements I would definitely say that placing elevated radials
above surface or buried radials is a good idea
All the radials were an electrical quarter wavelength