Re: Topband: 160 SSB by DXpeditions

To: 160 reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 SSB by DXpeditions
From: Chris G3SVL <Chris@G3SVL.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 08:42:36 +0000
At 02:15 05/11/2009, N7DF wrote:
>It would be nice if more DXpeditions would schedule some 160 SSB

When we were on the 3B7C DX-pedition we had a lot of requests for SSB
on 160m - and those request grew with time. So we announced a system
of going to SSB at the top of every (propagation) hour and committing
to stay there for at least 5 minutes. QRN some nights meant we worked
no one in those first 5 mins. We generally limited the total time on
SSB as it was such hard going.  Its essential of course not to be on
SSB when a narrow opening to one part of the globe is possible.

We found there were quite a few big signal SSB-only topband DX'ers.
But we received complaints from those who were still trying to get us
on any mode - they felt we were just giving a new mode to an existing
CW QSo'er.

You can please all of the people some of the time and some of the
people all of the  ..... etc. etc.

73 Chris, G3SVL