Re: Topband: The East Coast Advantage

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>, Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: The East Coast Advantage
From: Niko Cimbur <ac6dd@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 00:24:19 -0700 (PDT)
K6XT Wrote:

> They were in
> separate contests that just happened to occur at the same
> time.

This is the way I look at it.  I can't remember who mentioned at the Visalia
convention that we in W6 should have our own Contest within the 160m contests
with awards available.  I am all for that, and would certainly contribute to
the Award pool.

It is just a different world out here in W6.  Many times when I returned to W6
from S5 I found the bands which were full of activity in Europe completely dead
here for days and days.

I haven't participated much in the ARRL 160 in the last few years, but the way
I am looking at it when I do, is basically beating my own score.
I would like to try to improve the W6 top score some day, but I have ways to
go.  The next step would be the ARRL SW Division score, but for a station with
the back to the water competing with someone in Arizona it would be a bit of a
stretch.  The Records posted recently on this list give us a pretty good idea
on where we sit.

We certainly have it much better than VK2CCC,
http://www.arrl.org/contests/results/2008/160m.pdf or VK3EGN in the CQ160 test,
but they had the drive to be there.

73,  Niko - AC6DD