Topband: As for me and my station we will run QRP in the Stew Perry

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: As for me and my station we will run QRP in the Stew Perry
From: N7DF <n7df@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:56:07 -0700 (PDT)
The SP is the only contest where you can feel a real accomplishment running QRP

There is an immediate gratification to making a new longest distance contact

Quite frankly I have gotten burnt out on just trying for the most multipliers
and/or QSOs

In most of the 160 meter contests anymore I concentrate on giving the NM
multiplier to as many VE, W1, W2, W3 and DX stations as I can

I have had some success with QRPP on 160     My FT1000MP will only go down to
850 milliwatts output before it starts getting unstable but I have been able to
get into the east coast and as far into the pacific as KH6 (and a couple of
JAs) at that power level.

It seems like running 5 watts is a lot of power anymore.  Admittedly I will run
QRO to work DXpeditions but I have also worked many of them a second time QRP
just for the fun of it toward the end of their operation when they are not
quite so busy.

As far as scoring not being a level playing field TANSTAAFL.   If you want to
make a big score then go to where you can make a lot of contacts and work a lot
of multipliers. And, build a competitive station.

73
Larry
N7DF