Topband: Glorioso & Midway

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Glorioso & Midway
From: "John Harden, D.M.D." <jhdmd@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 10:50:49 -0400
It's been very interesting to hear all of the comments relative to the
two recent DXpeditions.

I was fortunate to be able to work K4M on 160 from a 1 acre city lot in
Atlanta. I did use a 100 foot 45G tower shunt fed with 32 radials. On
receive I used the NW beverage which is only 300 - 400 feet long. I got
him last Saturday morning and there was a lot of QRN es QSB.

I did not hear the FT5 on 160 though I did work him on a number of other
bands.

It can be frustrating when one does not get through. At one time I had
worked them all (by mid-1990's). I missed the BS7 while in Russia in
1997. I had 4 contacts in the log for the BS7 in 2007 BUT I WAS NOT IN
THE LOG. That's just the way it goes.

I have been DXing since 1959 at age 15. Many times I did not get
through. I must admit that the QRM & competition is more fierce now than
it was 50 years ago! Good technique is obviously important but big
antennas and power is what gets one through early on if at all.

I think that overall both groups did an admirable job given the poor HF
propagation that exists.

73,

John, W4NU
Atlanta