Topband: 2 wire beverage reflection transformer

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 2 wire beverage reflection transformer
From: "john" <jb@beaumonts.karoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 22:57:57 +0100
Hil topbanders,

I wish to  construct a 2 wire beverage, I have purchased 2 rolls of 7 strand
electric fence wire and have installed the supports at 10ft  ht, Beverage
length 800ft

ant wire

Dia 1.5mm
ht 10ft
spacing 12inch

We are on heavy clay ground with quite high water table especially in winter
(not so good for bev!!)

On an excel programme received, calculated imp was T1 - 618 ohms and T2 -
334ohms.

Advice please ie : calculatd guess if you think this is incorrect please advise.

Transformers 2 stacked MN8CX in bronze clips, as I have already purchased
please advise if binc cores better wire 30 awg or  .3mm approx.

My thoughts were:

Using the spreadsheet and calcs T1 primary 3 turns for 50ohm and secondary 11
turns centre tapped
T2 - 3 turns primary 8 turns secondary tapped 3 turns from cold end.

I do not know the set up for the reflection transformer and would appreciate
advice as there does not seem to be a lot of info info on reflection
transformers.

Need to get info on reflection transformer !! TKS

 I note various methods of termination including 1/4 wave and capacity hat and
coil terminations advice appriciated.

I have previously constructed many single wire beverage antennas with good
earth systems at each end and made note of common mode problems but have never
construted a 2 wire one.

Also when you bring the 2 x feeder into the shack I understand the unused one
should be terminated in characeristic impedance (Value!)

cheers guys

your thoughts / comments please

best 73/dx

Regards