Topband: Multiple Beverage Switchbox

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Multiple Beverage Switchbox
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 05:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
There are two issues here...
1. Is your Beverage coax braid grounded at the antenna feed point?
If yes, then you MUST switch both sides of the coax, center and braid, at your
switchbox, and leave the unused coax(s) floating...
2. Is your Beverage coax floating at the antenna end, i.e. feeding an isolated
primary winding on your 9:1 transformer?
If yes, then you CAN leave the coax braids grounded together at your switchbox
and only select the center conductor one at a time...

Now CAN and BEST are not identical... Best would be to switch both sides of the
feedline...  Standard coax is not 100% shield - it does leak some signal... So
the possibility of cross talk is there as the coax runs come together...
However, RG6 catv line, is 100% shielded and can be bundled without problems if
they are feeding isolated primary windings out at the antennas...
I admit, that given I am using RG6 to feed transformers with an isolated
primary winding at the antennas, I use a standard MFJ coax switch at the shack
end - lazy wins over perfection every time..

denny / k8do