Re: Topband: Magnum 160 VX2 or Cushcraft MA160V?

To: "Szegedy" <szegedy.zolilaci@t-online.hu>
Subject: Re: Topband: Magnum 160 VX2 or Cushcraft MA160V?
From: k8gg@voyager.net
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 07:48:43 -0400 (EDT)

Laszlo, HA5BZR Wrote:

> Dear Friend!

'm not a big antenna maker,so I think of buying a low band vertical .But

> which one?
> Which is the different in efficiency
between Magnum 160VX2 and Cushcraft
> MA160V? Anybody have it?

> What about comparing this vertical to a inverted L which is:18m
vert and
> 22m horizontal size?
> I live a city ,I have
a short dipole for 160m band in inverted V shape and
> after zig
zag because of limited space.The balun of the dipole is only 8m

high above the roof,
> ends of the dipole is only 2m above the
roof.Bad efficiency.At 100W I 'm
> week in Europe,I need my
linear to use to contact europian station,no DX
> at all.The roof
is 20meter by 26meter.
> What is the best solution and efficient
antenna for me? Magnum 160VX2 or
> Cushcraft MA160V or inverted
L?Any idea?
> What about buying a 18m fiberglass pole to hold a
home-made vertical or
> inverted L?

Thanks:Laszlo HA5BZR

Laszlo, etc.,

The
Cushcraft antenna is about 36 feet or 11 meters tall with a center loading
coil.  It is the equivalent of a 0.6 meter mobile antenna for 10
meters.
The Force 12 Magnum 160VX2 is 57 feet tall or about 17
meters tall, again center loaded and it costs about US$ 2000.00!!
am sure the Force 12 antenna would be 3-4 db stronger, but in my
opinion,
A home-made inverted-L or Tee top should be much more broad
banded and have 2-4 db more signal strength than the Force 12
antenna.  The vertical radiator below the loading wire would be 18
meters for the inverted-L versus 8 meters below the loading coil on
the
Force 12 antenna and the cost would be very little.

Good luck & 73
George   K8GG