Re: Topband: Conditions on 160 tonight

To: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Conditions on 160 tonight
From: Bert Barry <bbarry@simplysurf.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 09:02:14 -0400
Hi Tom,

Yes, that was an exceptional evening last night, but don't count on
this winter being as good as last.  It appears that the sunspots may be
ramping up.  There are two groups now showing, including three good
sized spots and about ten smaller specks.  Yesterday a C-class solar
flare erupted from one of these groups, and we were the beneficiaries of
a great burst of x-rays creating lots of ionization upstairs.  It was
this ionization that gave the great propagation on 160 last night.  I
worked ten different countries in a short period, with six reports of
599 or 589. Tonight we will probably be back to the rather poor
conditions we have been experiencing recently. We can expect a
geomagnetic storm in a couple of days or so, when a bunch of heavier
ions arrive via the solar wind.  That won't be good.

You are right about your location making it interesting for working 160.
The guys across in Wisconsin and Minnesota describe that part of the
country as "the Black Hole" for 160 propagation.

73,  Bert  VE3QAA