Re: Topband: 80m vertical

To: "Carl" <aa4h@charter.net>,<topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 80m vertical
From: Ed Stallman <n5dg@airmail.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 13:02:28 -0500
Carl, A year ago I bought the DXE-ATK65 and like you felt the 65ft
was to short, so I added 2 ft to the top hoping that would get me to
3520 of about. with 8 radials on the ground , the length and match
was good. Each time I added 8 more radials the resonant freq went up
the band . After 32 radials were in place the match was up around
3620 and the 2:1 bandwidth was not that good. Using 6 turns, 1/4 in
copper tubing , wound on 2.5 inch PVC got me to 3510 with a 1: 3 SWR
/ 38 Ohms . The bandwidth was still not that good , all I can think
of is the narrow width tubing ? I'm going to rebuild the antenna,
this time using 4 inch irrigation tubing, hoping for better bandwidth
and no coil at the base.. Heres the method I used to raise the 80m
vert  http://www.n6rk.com/irrigation.html works great

Good luck , Ed N5DG