Re: Topband: Mica capacitors for antenna matching.

To: "Tom Boucher" <tom@telemetry.demon.co.uk>, "160 reflector" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Mica capacitors for antenna matching.
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:18:58 -0500
I'll add to Tom's recommendations. I have used multiple ceramic discs in
parallel for many years. Amplifier makers have been doing this for quite a
while, as well (although the factory originals failed in in my Alpha 99...).

I also use 6 kV discs, but have one caveat -- use the physically largest
devices you can find. Whenever I travel to Silicon Valley, I make a trip to
Halted Specialties (HSC) and stock up on the ones they carry, which are tan
colored and 0.6 inch diameter (1.5 cm). Pricing is in range of 2- or
3-for-a-dollar. I see the same type at some hamfests. Many distributors
carry HV discs that are significantly smaller in size and, presumably, in
current handling.

My present vertical uses approx. 1200 pF, made up with (6) 180 pF discs and
(2) 56 pF. Past Inv-Ls were matched with approx. 2200 pF shunt caps , using
(8) to (10) 240 pF or 270 pF discs. I found that fewer devices of larger
value would overheat.

After observing the need for many in parallel, I avoid values higher than
250 pF, and have plenty of small values for fine tuning. If you already have
larger values, use them in series/parallel to increase current handling.

73, Gary
K9AY