Re: Topband: "T"-Top Vertical Antennas

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: "T"-Top Vertical Antennas
From: Rick Stealey <rstealey@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:38:14 +0000
Paul, W9AC, a respected historian writes:
> By 1921, they knew the importance of the flat-top as a non-radiating loading
> device to increase radiation efficiency.

Paul, There's still some discrepancy here.  I have the Radio Club of
America commemorative publication on the 1921 tests.  In it
Amy and Burghard describe the station antenna:

"As soon as the antenna and counterpoise construction was completed,
an attempt was made to energize the system by a more or less new
principle, namely to excite the antenna and its counterpoise by
means of a single wire, non-radiating feedline directly connected
from one end of the cage flattop to the transmitter.  The purpose
of this method of exciting the antenna was to avoid any loading
coil in the main downlead from the antenna to the center of the
counterpoise and thereby excite the antenna at maximum efficiency
without loading or coupling coils and thus avoid their inherent
losses."