Re: Topband: QEX article and T-vertical improvement

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: QEX article and T-vertical improvement
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 21:53:42 -0700
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 05:46:57 -0600, Steve Flood wrote:

>A couple questions for the group....

>1.  Supposedly I will end up with higher radiation resistance and
>efficiency, and I assume higher effective radiated power.  But what
>am I giving up?

Complexity and loss in the unun. :)

Why not go further (that is, more toploading) and take the feedpoint
impedance to 50 +JX. Now you can match it with nothing more than a
capacitor in series that supplies -jX. NEC will let you model the
toploading just as you are now and tell you the feedpoint Z. Simply
use the reactance equation to find the needed value of C.

Works great.

73,

Jim K9YC