Topband: K9AY over fence

To: TopBand List <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K9AY over fence
From: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 07:28:11 -0600
I've got a pair of Beverages now. The local gas companies have recently
installed electric motors with PWM controllers that make quite the
racket on 160 and 80. They're working with me on quieting all that down
but, on the proposition they will be either unsuccessful or unwilling to
spend enough money I'm going for an alternative for this winter.

This summer I will put up a K9AY loop setup. I can place the loops far
away and over a hill but can't do the same with the Beverages.
Physically the best place for it is partially along a barbwire fence.
The fence is a waist high 5 wire.

I'm familiar with the conventional wisdoms: 1. Don't do that. 2. Never
put an antenna near a metallic object. 3. Don't do that.

I didn't find much on placement over a conductor in the literature.
Having repeated the conventions, moving on to reality, I'm asking how
someone might have been successful doing what we're not supposed to do,
what might be the best orientation (like, a foot over the fence etc.),
ground the fence near the loops?, etc.

I'm planning to start with a pair of crossed loops, ending up with a
four square of loops. The initial loop will be close to the Beverages
(100 ft) so my initial thought is I'll have to remove the Beverages to
gain useful measurements on the loop.

Thanks, 73
Art