Topband: Sloping Beverages

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Sloping Beverages
From: Garry Shapiro <garry@ni6t.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 14:19:10 -0700
When I first got on topband in the early 1990's, I was encouraged by
Bob, KN6J, who held one of the earlier topband DXCC's in California. I
could see no logic in putting in a big effort on 160, given my
canyon-side QTH. Bob showed me his Beverages, which ran down steep
ravines that were held in common in his community and which were
essentially below ground level. His response to all of my demurrals--my
land is too steep, too forested, too far down in the canyon, the
antennas will be too short--were met with the same reply--"any Beverage
is better than no Beverage." He was right. The comments offered here
about sloping Beverages also appear to bear that out.

My two two-wire Beverages are relatively short, undulate over the
terrain and the Europe unit drops almost 200' in less than 400'. My
average "horizon" is 15 degrees.

Garry, NI6T