Topband: Need advice on vertical

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Need advice on vertical
From: DM4iM <hamradio@vr-web.de>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 14:36:36 +0200
Topbanders,
while i successfully shunt-fed the tower at our local clubstation,
i completely failed to do so with my own tower at home.
It is a crank-up tower with tilt-base, maybe the sections have no good
contact, i don't know. Plus i now replaced the Titanex Log-periodic with
a SteppIR and i don't know what the RF will do to the electronics. I
would like to try a different approach now.

The tower is abt. 18m when fully cranked up, this is close to a 1/4 wave
for 80m. I am thinking of building 1 or 2 inv L's for 80m and/or 160m. 3
different ideas come to (my) mind:

1. A single wire for both bands, parallel to the tower , maybe 5/8 for
80m , ~ 3/8 for 160m, with a matching network at the base.
Feels complicated, right? And i am not sure about the radiation angles.

2. 2 wires , each a 1/4 wave, one  left , the other one right to the
tower , with the horizontal sections going in opposite directions.

3. One half of a trap-dipole for 160/80, converted to the L. The trap
can handle quite some power, too old for ebay, too young for the trash can.

Radials.

What is the easiest way out of these ?
Or am i wrong? Should i try none of them?
Any advice?

Martin

--

73, DM4iM