Re: Topband: Probably-dumb question re current mode chokes on RX antenna

To: "TopBand List" <topband@contesting.com>, "Pete Smith" <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Probably-dumb question re current mode chokes on RX antennas
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 09:17:23 -0700
On Tue, 19 May 2009 06:39:58 -0400, Pete Smith wrote:

> I am thinking about a choke combining two
>toroids such as you describe with a ground in the middle, as ON4UN
>advocates (but using bead chokes).

The T-section sort of thing you're describing would be more important if
you were using beads rather than coils. With the relatively high
impedances you can achieve on 160 with 7-10 turns through that "big
clamp-on," one choke is probably enough. But two certainly doesn't hurt.

My Beverage feedpoints are 300 ft and 400 ft from my shack, and they're
reversibles using DXE hardware. I'm using a choke on each end of each
feedline. At the shack end, it's on the ground outside the shack (which
is only about 20 ft from my TX vertical).

73,

Jim K9YC