Topband: Reversible beverage terminating resistors

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Reversible beverage terminating resistors
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 14:35:01 -0400
K4XL:
 > One point that has been discussed rather extensively on the reflectors,
on the web and in print is the size and composition of the terminating
resistor.  Generally, a 2 watt carbon composition resistor is recommended.

         Although a carbon composition resistor is noninductive, it has very
poor peak surge survivability compared to ceramic composition resistors
like the Ohmite OY series.  I used carbon comps for many years and had
to replace them regularly after they disintegrated with nearby (not even
direct) lightning hits.  Since converting to ceramic composition resistors,
I don't recall replacing any.  There is no 75 ohm value in the OY series
but 68, 82 and 150 (for 2 in parallel) are available.  2 150s in parallel
would give 4 watts dissipation and would probably last forever unless you
got a direct lightning strike.

http://tinyurl.com/cf54jx

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV