Re: Topband: How Close is Too Close?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: How Close is Too Close?
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:03:53 -0700
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 03:55:51PM -0400, Bill Tippett wrote:

>          If you can avoid HV transmission lines, by all means do so.
> But since that's becoming difficult in some areas I would check out the
> specific line using an AM radio.  I hope yours will be as quiet as mine
> has been!

I have some experience with a 500 KV line.  This probably isn't a big issue
in southern California - but up here where it rains a lot - the 500 KV line
can be VERY LOUD on 160 meters - and just loud on 80 and quiet on 40 meters.

Seems that there is enough of an e-field to do funny things to water
molecues.  I can hear these from miles away.  At my previous QTH, it
was very strong about one mile away.  Perfectly quiet when dry.

Tree N6TR